To make this wall decoration Wreath you will need the following items:
- Welder – MIG, Arc, Gas, TIG
- Hand held 4½” angle grinder
- 4½” Cut Off wheel
- 4½” Flap Wheel or wire wheel
- Rustoleum or similar rust proof spray paint/clear coat
Always wear protective gear. Welding helmet, protective glasses, ear protection, etc.
- 5 Horseshoes – size 00 to make a small wreath
- 5 Horseshoes – size 1 to make a large wreath
Our kit has the horseshoes needed for this project. If you plan to make a number of Wreaths, and in various sizes visit our Horseshoe page to purchase the shoes by the box and get bulk pricing.
- Use a wire wheel on the angle grinder or a wire brush to clean the shoes in preparation for welding.
- Place the horseshoes upside down on a flat welding table.
- Over lap the horseshoes as shown in the photo, and weld them together.
- Weld the overlapping heels first, then weld at each overlapping branch where the nail hole are. Only welding the heels will allow the wreath to move out of position.
- Welding on the back side of the horseshoes will keep the front free of weld spatter and make clean up much easier.
- Clean all of the weld spatter with a small chisel and wire brush. Thoroughly clean all forging scale from the wreath with a wire brush or wire wheel. Scale will interfere with your paint or clear coat spray.
- Finish with a rust resistant paint, clear coat or patina coating.